6/09/2009

How could I forget?

For the past few weeks, one would detect a whiff of something. Something one cannot exactly put one's finger (or nose) on.
Was it the dog? No.
Was it a diaper? No.
Was it John? No. (Hard to prove he wasn't contributing to it, though.)

Then my dear John finally got around to replacing the air filter for the good ol' a/c. Our lovely house had a surprise for him when he got down on his hands and knees in the crawl space...

Water.
Lots of water.

Well, we had several very hard rainstorms lately and despite cleaning out the gutters, those old things aren't able to drain like they did in the old days. Therefore, the pouring rain overflows the sides of the gutters and we have waterfalls outside of our windows. (Who needs to visit Niagra Falls anyway?) Long story short, there are cracks in our patio, mold on a few of the bricks.....must equal a foundation problem causing water to leak into the crawl space and causing the house to smell even better than it normally does.

Solution? Crawl space encasement.
Cost? $3000-$4000.
I start crapping my pants.

Again, long story short: beautiful weekend, not a rain cloud in sight, I do laundry, Johnny cleans the space, I do dishes, Johnny cleans the space, I wash bottles, I get woken up out of a deep sleep and told to run some faucets, the problem is discovered:


A $350 piece of plastic.
And I'm able to resume my bottle washing.

No comments: