9/12/2009

It's a Girl Thing

I come from a very small family, on my mom's side.

I'm an only child and my mom has only one sister.

Their mother, my sweet, beautiful Nana, was diagnosed with breast cancer when she was 61 years old. She was treated and had a single mastectomy.


She was a survivor.


My equally as sweet and even more beautiful Aunt Jerry was diagnosed with breast cancer when she was 62 years old. She, too, was treated appropriately.


She IS a survivor.


My GORGEOUS, little, soon-to-be-some-age-over-60 mom has not been diagnosed with breast cancer, thankfully. However, she does have some areas that have required frequent follow up.


As for me, at 30 years old I was referred for my first mammogram because the doctor felt "something" and wanted some more information. Luckily all is well.

All is well right now.

Cancer is potentially a reality for me.

As it may be for Lily and any future daughters of mine.

I hope it doesn't have to be.

The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure is an extraordinary organization supporting education and research for breast cancer. Aunt Jerry embraced her diagnosis and has put her focus on helping others. She is the sponsorship chair for the 15th annual Colorado Springs Race for the Cure which is today. Please watch the video from the link below (it's in the upper right hand corner of the article.) Aunt Jerry is the good looking lady interviewed at the end!
Congratulations, Aunt Jerry! You have done a wonderful thing and that organization is better now because of you. Lily and I thank you!

No comments: