11/14/2009

Friday the 13th

Nov 4th at 3:45pm: I receive a birthday card with a gift certificate in it stating that I will be a guest investigator with the Atlanta Ghost Hunters.
3:46pm: My eyes tear up in fear and I begin to have a difficult time breathing.
10pm: I can't seem to fall asleep.
Nov 9th at 11:30am: Andy Roberts (lead hunter) calls me to provide information and give me upcoming dates.
Nov 10th at 9:37am: I decide to go ahead and put a request in for Nov 13th. Friday. Why not, right?
Nov 12th at 1:48pm: I receive confirmation that I have the last available spot for the 13th. Friday.
1:49pm: I FREAK OUT!
Nov 13th at 7:32pm: I arrive at the haunted location to find another couple speaking with Andy. I trip walking up the stairs and make a typical Audra-esque entrance.
9pm: LIGHTS OUT. Yup. All of them. Pitch black dark except for the two little red lights on the recorders.
9:01pm: AAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! I've never sat so still and quiet in all my life.
Fast forward
10pm: It's my team's turn to head up to the attic. Great.
10:05pm: I ask my first question.
10:07pm: I ask my second question, keeping in mind these are former Civil War soldiers; presumably Confederate.
10:10pm: I'm kind of getting into this ghost hunting thing and ask, "Do you think the South will rise again?" (I was bummed not to get a response.)
10:15pm: We move out into the hallway of the attic.
10:37pm: We feel cold air. It's an old house, I'm sure it's a draft. We hear sounds from above, I'm sure it's an acorn falling from a tree. We hear footsteps on the floor beneath us and a thud, I'm sure it's one of the girls from the other team walking in her noisy heels to the bathroom. We hear three distinct knocks from a room down the hall where no one has been. Not so sure what to think about that one.
11pm: Time's up. Where are you, Andy?
11:05pm: Okay. Our hour is up. I'm ready to head back downstairs. WHERE ARE YOU, ANDY?!?!
11:12pm: We meet up with the other team. The girl wearing the noisy shoes had been on the first floor the entire time without a bathroom break.
For the next hour and a half, we sit in the control room and chat while Andy is uploading all the recorders onto his computer so he can give us a cd to take home to listen to on our own.
4 digital recorders x 2 hours + 1 other recorder from the beginning = 9 hours of listening for EVPs (electronic voice phenomenon, for your rookies out there).
The cd will only play in your computer.
Good, I wasn't interested in being tempted to listen to it in my car on the drive home. At 1am. Alone.
I woke up feeling sort of brave and ready to tackle my first 30 minutes or so of audio.
The darn cd was blank! Hopefully I can get in touch with him to get another one, or I don't mind waiting to see what he comes up with after listening himself.
All in all, it was a fantastic night! I would definitely do it again!
This is the house.
The Warren House in Jonesboro, Georgia
Brief history of the house:
~Built in the 1700s by Mr. Warren
~Site of a major battle of the Civil War
~Used as a hospital for wounded soldiers
~After the battle, the yard was covered with bodies and amputated body parts so they dug a big grave in the backyard and buried them.
~The room thought to be where the wounded soldiers may have been treated, still has some of it's original plaster where the soldiers wrote their names.
Here's a link to the website with some of the past investigations of this house. Enjoy!!!
http://www.freewebs.com/henryghosthunters/warrenhouse.htm

No comments: